Caleb Liam Vazquez, one of two shooters who killed three people at the San Diego Islamic Center earlier this week, had been flagged for concerning behavior and radicalization before the attack. According to court records obtained by The Los Angeles Times, Chula Vista police got a court order in January 2025 to remove Vazquez's father’s numerous firearms after concerns about his mental health arose.
Key Takeaways
Caleb Vazquez, one of two shooters who killed three people at the San Diego Islamic Center, had been flagged for concerning behavior and radicalization before the attack. Police seized his father's guns in January 2025 due to concerns about Vazquez's idolization of Nazis and mass shooters.
- Caleb Vazquez was involved in suspicious behavior idolizing Nazis and mass shooters
- Chula Vista police got a court order to remove his father’s numerous firearms in January 2025
- Vazquez had been previously involuntarily hospitalized by authorities before the attack
- The FBI was alerted to Vazquez's behavior, but did not comment on its knowledge of him
Vazquez, 18, was undergoing mental health treatment in the days before Monday’s deadly attack. His parents stated that he had been caught up in a web of online hate and had made repeated voluntary trips to rehabilitation treatment centers. Police acted after being alerted to his writings on social media, using a 2014 law enacted after Elliot Rodger gunned down six people in Isla Vista, Calif.
The law allows police, family, and friends to get a judge to issue a gun violence restraining order to prevent an individual from getting access to firearms. According to the San Diego Superior Court records, Vazquez was placed on a 5150 hold—where a person is deemed a danger to themselves or others and involuntarily detained for 72 hours—and his father refused to allow officers to confirm if firearms were stored properly.
In writings reviewed by The Los Angeles Times, Vazquez advocated for the destruction of the political system and 'all-out race war for the purpose of societal collapse.' The family said he voluntarily spent time in multiple rehabilitation centers, but ultimately it was not enough. They encouraged him to seek help and he spent time in rehabilitation centers, according to a statement released through their attorney Colin Rudolph.
The FBI was alerted to Vazquez’s behavior, though the agency did not comment on its knowledge of him. The family said they are 'deeply sorry for the pain and devastation caused' and that their son’s actions 'do not reflect the values we raised our family with or the beliefs we hold in our hearts.'
How this summary was created
This summary synthesizes reporting from 3 independent publishers using AI. All sources are cited and linked below. NewsBalance is a news aggregator and media literacy tool, not a news publisher. AI-generated content may contain errors or inaccuracies — always verify important information with the original sources.
