Ireland Protests After Congolese Man Dies in Restraint Incident

Conflicting Facts
  • May 22, 2026 at 7:49 AM ET
  • Est. Read: 2 Mins
Ireland Protests After Congolese Man Dies in Restraint IncidentAI-generated illustration — does not depict real events
Listen to This SummaryAI-generated audio

Key Takeaways

Hundreds protested outside Ireland's parliament after Yves Sakila, a Congolese man, died following restraint by security guards during an alleged shoplifting incident in Dublin. A widely shared video showed him pinned to the ground for nearly five minutes.

  • Protesters gathered at Irish Parliament over death of Yves Sakila
  • Video shows Sakila restrained face down on Henry Street for almost 5 minutes
  • Congolese community and activists call for thorough investigation into his death
  • PM Micheál Martin urges full probe, citing deep concern across society

Hundreds of protesters gathered outside Ireland's parliament to express outrage over the death of Yves Sakila, a 35-year-old Congolese man who died after being restrained by security guards during an alleged shoplifting incident in Dublin. According to multiple reports, Sakila became unresponsive at the scene and was later pronounced dead at the hospital.

A video widely shared on social media shows Sakila pinned to the ground by at least five men for almost five minutes. The footage has sparked comparisons to the killing of George Floyd in the United States in 2020, with protesters chanting 'no cover up, no delay' and holding signs that read 'Justice' and 'cead mile failte (the Irish phrase for welcome) is for everyone'.

The incident has shocked Ireland's small Congolese community. Laure Zoya, vice president of the Congolese Community in Ireland group, said its members were among the first black communities to move to Ireland and were now feeling unsafe. 'The Ireland that they knew 30 years ago is no longer the same,' she told national broadcaster RTE.

Prime Minister Micheál Martin repeated calls for a thorough investigation into Sakila's death, stating that the manner in which he died has caused huge concern across society. The Irish Network Against Racism expressed concern that excessive force may have been used against Sakila and called for a comprehensive examination of all circumstances leading to his death.

Police said on Thursday that a post-mortem examination had been completed, but the results are not being released for operational reasons. Investigations into all circumstances of the incident are ongoing, with footage recovered from CCTV and social media. The incident has also been referred to Fiosrú, Ireland's police ombudsman, for investigation.

How this summary was created

This summary synthesizes reporting from 4 independent publishers using AI. All sources are cited and linked below. NewsBalance is a news aggregator and media literacy tool, not a news publisher. AI-generated content may contain errors or inaccuracies — always verify important information with the original sources.

Read our full methodology →

Read the original reporting ↓